Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Nameless One




The day was warm


but Nameless One was bundled


in heavy, soiled clothing.


He read intently, not noticing my camera


and I felt like and intruder pointing it his way,


but there was something I knew my heart needed to remember


from the unsolicted moment.


I wondered if he sought escape


from the world he had come to know,


or if the words he read were the very thing


that helped him feel connected to it.


I wondered what had led him there,


and if there had once been days of


intently reading his paper


with coffee in hand


and family all around.


My heart was crying


and I wanted to ask him


if he'd like a coffee now,


but the car was already speeding away


and he moved out of my vision


as quickly as he had come into it.


I think of him now


and the many he represents


with a prayer.